" Sew " is the act of creating an item using any kind of sewing machine (conventional or longarm), serger, or simple needle and thread.
" Batik " is the ancient art of hand dying and hand stamping cloth to create an intriguing design.
At " SewBatik " you will find all things batik designed by Bruce and Diane. Including, but not limited to... quilting cotton [ traditional 45" and 115" extra wide quilt backs]; garment fabric [ 44" rayon, 72" cotton jersey knit, 54" linen], and hand bag fabric [57" canvas], precuts, project kits, and all the accessories to make your sewing experience successful.SewBatik, entered the quilting industry in 2004, when Bruce and Diane Magidson designed and launched their first collection of exquisite batik and hand dyed fabrics. What a wonderfully exciting time for us!!
What products do we make?
- Traditional Batik Quilting Cotton:
- 115" Extra Wide Cotton Backing - we offer the largest collection of batik backings in the industry. Our extra wide backings are designed to coordinate with our 45" cotton collection and any cotton or batik quilt top ready for a quilt backing. Remember, this is extra wide and 100% cotton. The use goes way beyond quilt backings - think: table cloth, shower curtain, and many other home decorating items.
- 45" Wide Cotton Nuance Gradation Batik - gradations are hand dyed fabrics that transition in shade from light to dark - or between two or three shades. For example - Danube is a bright shade of blue where one selvage starts light and transitions in intensity/darkness to a brilliant blue at the other selvage. Perfect for your applique stash or for any project that requires light to dark shades of a common color.
- 45" Stamped and Hand Dyed Batik - traditional stamped batik designs produced using traditional Indonesian copper tjaps designed by Bruce for SewBatik. Yes - Bruce designs all our stamped batik designs!
- Project Kits - prepackaged kits that include a project pattern or instructions and the fabric needed to complete the project.
- Batik's Specifically Designed for Garments:
- 44" Wide Rayon Batiks - if you are searching for flowing, soft, and easy to care for garment weight rayon, this is it. We offer over 90 rayon batik motifs and coordinating hand dyed sprays.
- 72" Wide Cotton Batik Jersey Knit - we offer 100% cotton jersey knit perfect for any garment. Without Lycra or Spandex, our single jersey knit is so soft with 2-way stretch. This is not intended for sportswear or high stretch garment designs.
- 54" Wide Batik Linen - oh the joy of linen fabric. There is nothing like it. And, Batik Linen is out of this world. It is a light to mid-weight linen and perfect for any of your favorite garment patterns.
- Patterns and Helpful Project Guides. We are starting to design our own quilt and garment patterns to showcase our batiks. As we produce new patterns we will make them available.
Where can you find our products?
- Our website - www.SewBatik.com
- Our store in Mayville ND by appointment only.
- Local shoppers can select "Store Pickup" as their shipping option. Place your order online and simply select the store pickup option to eliminate shipping charges. Once we fulfill your order you are notified to stop on over to pickup your purchase.
Where are we located:
879 Main Street West, Mayville ND 58257
We are located Highway 200 between Mayville and Portland. If you are on I-29 between Grand Forks and Fargo take the Highway 200 exit and head West 13 miles.
Call anytime - toll free (877) 235-5025. Email anytime - Services@SewBatik.com.
We are thrilled that you are interested in learning more about SewBatik!